Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Caketown

A post from March 2008.



I have spent the last two weeks travelling back and forth from Canberra, where I had an exhibition called Caketown. The show was part of a prize I won after graduating from Art School in 2006. Part of the prize was a 3 month studio residency at a local gallery in Canberra, as well as participation in a group show featuring myself and other people who won the same prize. Caketown is the final product of the residency, a solo show in a small exhibition space. It is basically the culmination of my obsession for all things fabric and all things dessert!! For me there is something really irresistable about fake foods, I just find them sooooo cute! I picked my favourite sweet treats and re-created them in fabric!!

Valentines Day cake, petit fours, lollipops, jam slice, cupcake and coffee cake


Cupcakes, strawberry bomb, and sponge cake


Pattycakes, lemon meringue slice, Vienetta, 100s and 100s parfait, and gold cupcake


Violet bomb, choc-chip cookies, and cupcakes


Strawberry layer cake


Coffee slice, strawberry shortcake, vanilla parfait, petit fours, and lollies.

My camera didn’t like the gallery lighting, so apologies for the slightly grainy pictures! You can see detailed images of the cakes in my Facebook album.