Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fringe Bar Markets

A post from December 2007.



Last weekend I had a stall at the Fringe Bar Markets, a weekly market set in a bar in Paddington. I had a mixed experience. It was my first time selling there and was also the first time I wasn’t successful sales-wise at a market. The market is filled with amazing vintage clothing and accessories stalls, which I think are much more popular than newer crafted items stalls like mine, where things are a little more expensive because they’re hand made. I had a lot of people looking, but in comparison to the unique and relatively cheap treasures to be found at the vintage stalls, there weren’t that many buying. It definitely was a learning experience, and you can’t really take stuff like that personally. I find that it is really hard to gauge shoppers, and what makes them want to buy, or not buy. You really have to just be happy with the products you’re selling and hope for the best. Not everyone will like what you do, but its more important for you to like and be proud of what you’ve made. I’d like to try Fringe Bar markets again in the New Year, to see if anything changes. I was really pleased with the layout of my stall though, despite it’s small size. Apologies for the bad quality images, it was very dark in the bar and rather than use the ugly flash, I Photoshopped the images…a lot!