Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Shop!

A post from April 2008.



I have been working on a lot of things behind the scenes lately. I haven’t talked about this much on here but I am trying to move away from Etsy as an online place to sell Heartbreaker products. The main reason is, as an Australian seller I often feel stuck in the middle in that sometimes I think international customers could be turned off by the high postage rates I have to charge due to living at this end of the world! I also find that local customers either don’t know about Etsy yet, or are turned off by the log-on process and US dollar thing. (This is just from my experience, not a general view).

I really want to focus more on attracting local customers so thought I would create a new shopping cart that was totally mine, not run off a bigger database like Etsy (where I often get swamped by all the other shops out there if I can’t post items every day), and have it linked directly to this blog. I found Big Cartel and I have to say it is really rad so far! I really like the way even the most simple cart template is set out and all the options you have for posting items. I have been working on customising it (you can use your own CSS feed, but I’m not very experienced with that so am using a plain template at the moment which I actually really love - something to build up to in the future!) and this is what I’ve got so far:
http://heartbreakershop.bigcartel.com

I’m going to launch it properly soon, when I’ve documented more of my new products. I know it’s going to take WAY more publicity on my part, but I am excited about it being totally mine! Big Cartel is awesome because on the plan I’m on you can have your own domain name by doing some basic formatting stuff (which I have still got to do), so you can drop the Big Cartel part..which is cool! I’ll still be updating my Etsy shop, but things like clothing and bags, and one-off items will be listed in my new shop.

Anyway, I have disabled comments on this blog because I used to get heaps of spam comments, but I love hearing from you all so you can comment by sending me an email or writing to me on Etsy! Let me know what you think of my new shop! xoxo